In the back of the mouth, three molars, also known as the wisdom teeth, can be a valuable asset to the mouth when they are healthy and properly aligned. Unfortunately, more often than not, they are misaligned and detrimental to your overall dental care. They are notorious for causing severe pain and posing potential dental complications. For this reason, the removal of these teeth is almost always recommended.
If you choose not to take the immediate removal route, you should be aware of the potential dangers of impacted wisdom teeth. Dr. Tibbitts, dentist in Murrieta, lists the warning signs and symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth.
Dangers of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
- They could damage adjacent teeth.
- They could cause cysts to develop.
- They could lead to gum disease or tooth decay.
Signs and Symptoms
- Jaw Pain – In contrast to other dental issues, the discomfort caused by wisdom teeth can lead to radiating pain through the jaw, ears, and skull. The pain might be amplified by chewing or drinking certain things. If not attended to, the entire jaw area is susceptible to swelling, infection, and even nerve damage.
- Sore or Bleeding Gums – Because the pain extends throughout the jaw and skull, the gums are also at risk. If the gums begin to ache or bleed, this is a serious indication that the wisdom teeth are are puncturing surface. This can make chewing extremely difficult
- Bad Tastes and Smells – When the wisdom teeth are impacted, bacteria can easily get trapped in soft folds of the gums. It can grow rapidly in the dark and cause a serious infection leading to cysts and decay. That tooth decay or excessive bacteria will cause a bad taste, odor, and even breath.
If you any of the symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth, the best and most recommended solution will usually be removal. Unlike other dental complications, this is not a problem that will resolve naturally and if not treated, symptoms might worsen as the teeth become increasingly impacted. If you are suffering from these symptoms, Dr. Tibbitts can review the details of wisdom teeth removal surgery with you and help you determine your best solution.
Make sure not to ignore these warning signs of impacted wisdom teeth and contact us at 951-677-5113 or schedule an appointment with our Murrieta dentist today!